Saturday, November 24, 2012

Viking Hat

I decided to do something a little different and make this hat viking hat!  You can mix up whatever color you want, but I made mine tan and grey. 


Viking Hat

Materials:
H hook
I hook
Tan yarn
Cream yarn
Light grey yarn
Dark grey yarn

Hat (use tan and grey yarn, H hook)

1. ch 6 in ring-6
2. 2sc in each st around-12
3. (sc in first st, 2sc in next st) around-18
4. (sc in first 2st, 2sc in next st) around-24
5. (sc in next 3st, 2sc in next st) around-30
6. (sc in next 4st, 2sc in next st) around-36
7. (sc in next 5st, 2st in next st) around-42
8. (sc in next 6st, 2sc in next st) around-48
9. (sc in next 7st, 2sc in next st) around-54
10. (sc in next 8st, 2sc in next st) around-60
11. (sc in next 9st, 2sc in next st) around-66
12. (sc in next 10st, 2sc in next st) around- 72
13-25. sc in each st around-72
(change to light grey yarn and I hook)
26-27. (FLO in round 26) dc in each st around-72 F/O


Stripe on top of Hat (use light grey yarn, I hook)

1. ch 49, dc in 2nd ch from hook and across-48
2. ch 1, dc in 2nd ch from hook and across-48 F/O

Horns (use cream yarn, I hook, make 2)

1. ch 6 in ring-6
2. sc in each st around-6 
3. (sc in next st, 2sc in next st) around-9
4. sc in each st around-9
5. (sc in next 2st, 2sc in next st)-12
6-9. sc in each st around-12
10. sc in next 2st, 2sc in next 2st, sc in next 3st, sk 1, sc in next 2st, sk 1, sc in last st-12
11. sc in next 4st, 2sc in next st, sc around-13
12. sc in each st around-13
13. sc in next 11st, 2sc in next st, sc in last st-14
14. with light grey yarn, dc in each st around-14 F/O


Circles on Stripe on top of Hat (use dark grey yarn, I hook, make 5)

1. ch 8 in ring-8 F/O

Assembly:

Sew all 5 circles on Stripe.  Then sew Stripe on Top of Hat.  Sew Horns on sides of Hat.


Sorry it took so long!




10 comments:

  1. what size head does it fit?
    Thanks! I cannot wait to make it for my grown son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I would say that this pattern is more for smaller (children) heads. But if you needed to make it bigger, you could either use a larger size crochet hook, or after row 12, do: (sc in next 11st, 2sc in next st) around.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what f/o means please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it called a few different things, but I call it Fastening/Off.

      Delete
  3. Oh makes sense thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would I make this for a newborn? TIA :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could either use a smaller hook size, a thinner yarn, or both. Actually, I guess you could also eliminate some rows, but I'm not sure how many. I'm sorry! I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to clothing sizes.

      Delete
  5. How would I make this for a newborn? TIA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. O MY GOSH YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE ONE FOR MY LIL MAN!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. does it need to be smaller for a 4 to 12 month year old

    ReplyDelete